Saturday, December 27, 2008

Candy Cane Ballerina


Louisa has been asking when she can be in a play. To her, that means being on stage with a costume and people clapping. She can't wait for her turn to be in piano recitals or give talks in church. She is so not like the Elison boys. She started taking ballet this year and happily, they were on stage with costumes AND make up for three performances of The Nutcracker. I cannot believe how much she loved the whole experience. In the first performance, she was watching her teacher backstage the whole time and ran into one of her fellow candy canes and the girl behind Lou then ran into her. Domino candy canes. She got to curtsy to the Sugar Plum Fairy and let me tell you, that was the biggest thrill. She started begging me for toe shoes. She knows if she has them, she will magically dance like the Fairy. So, of course, I'm the bad guy. I'm holding her back. SHE could be Clara if it wasn't for her mom...

And I still
am amazed that a girl with all brothers is in ballet shoes instead of cleats. I'm convinced they come from Heaven with those kinds of preferences already established.


Speaking of brothers... Have you ever taken three boys to a ballet? I should say four boys, Blake was there, too.
There is not an ounce of ballet culture or appreciation in these boys. The cool dude in the middle laughed for 90 straight minutes. His hand was cupped over his mouth but an occasional hoot would escape from time to time. Their dad was absolutely no help. In fact, one could say he encouraged his boys to continue their barbaric behavior. Oh and please, when the guy in tights came out to dance with the Sugar Plum Fairy, we hit an all time low on the culture meter.

Next time, I'm sitting on the other side of the theater.

6 comments:

Sharp family said...

Oh that was FUNNY!!! I love it, boys will be boys! (Thank goodness) And as for Loo, oh my, she was so very darling! I mean really, I don't think anyone has ever looked cuter in the a candy cane costume!

Sharp family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharp family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharp family said...

Need not be worried about the excessive posting and deleting, I thought it wasn't working....and there it was my "comment" posted three times! opps!

AnneMarie said...

Love the comparison between your boys and daughter! We see the same at our house.

Cheryl said...

I love your blogs about Louisa because I feel like I am watching a little Kim grow up! She really is the cutest candy cane I've ever seen! And as the mother of only one boy, I have absolutely no cultural advice!